2022 Scholarship Winners
Thanks to the support of our donors, we awarded two $5,000 scholarships for the 2022-2023 school year. We are so excited to share what these two superstars have been doing to promote diversity and we’re even more excited about their bright futures!
Breanna Ross graduated from the School of Science and Engineering at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Center in Dallas and will be attending the University of North Texas in the fall seeking a degree in Ecology for Environmental Science. In her own words, Breanna is “someone who people trust and know they can always count on for support. By checking in and letting people know that I’m there for them, even strangers will often come up to me seeking support or advice… Because of these efforts, more people feel safe and welcome to unapologetically be themselves in life. Additionally, through the implementation of a “Mental Health Guide,” which allows students to anonymously submit writing or artwork relating to mental health, LGTBQ+, POC, or neurodivergent experiences for other students to anonymously view, I’ve been able to show students that they are never alone in their struggles, which has helped students feel freer to be themselves on campus.”
Kristi Lee attends Booker T. Washington HSPVA and will be attending the University of Texas at Austin in the fall pursuing a medical degree with a long-term goal of becoming a neurosurgeon doing research in neurodegenerative diseases. As a teacher described her, Kristi is “one of those rare students with true EQ. She’s not just bright, she’s funny, she’s kind, she has an innate sense of social justice, and she has one of those interpersonal “sixth senses” that puts her fellow students at ease. When it came to partner or group assignments, the other students sought her out because they knew she’d be fun to work with, help the stragglers, make sure the work got done, and ensure that everybody in the group felt good about it. She doesn’t have a selfish bone in her body…I’m confident she will make a measurable mark on the world, maximizing any investment you elect to make in her future.”
2023 Scholarship Details
The OK2BX Foundation, in its mission to promote diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), desires to financially support young people who have demonstrated leadership in these areas and who have plans to continue promoting DEI in their life. In support of this, the OK2BX Foundation will grant a $5,000 scholarship in 2022 to a student who meet the following Eligibility Criteria:
- Candidate must plan to pursue an associate or bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university, or a vocational certificate through an accredited program.
- Candidate should submit an essay demonstrating leadership in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) and any plans to continue supporting these themes in the future. Essay should be as detailed as possible but should not exceed 250 words.
- Candidate should explain how the funds will be used.
- Candidate should submit one recommendation from a non-family member who has knowledge of the candidate’s contributions in the areas of DEI.
- Candidate must be either 1) a graduating high school senior or 2) a 1st year student pursuing an associate or bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university, or a vocational certificate through an accredited program.
The scholarship will be renewable for up to 3 years based on continued demonstration of the above eligibility criteria.
Applications for the 2023-2024 school year will open in 2023.